Provided Courtesy of BangTheBook, Read More.
How Did We do Last Week?
The Creighton Bluejays got the job done for us as they defeated the conference-leading Seton Hall Pirates 87-82 as 5.5-point road dogs. As good a win as that was, the bet on Butler failed miserably in a 73-66 home loss to Georgetown installed as 11.5-point favorites.
We went with Creighton a second time in the week and with satisfactory results as they defeated DePaul 93-64 as 8-point home favorites. The last game was the Game of the Week in the Big East and we nailed it as Providence took down Seton Hall 74-71 as 1.5-point home underdogs. So, for the week the recommended picks went 3-1 ATS.
So, for the five weeks the recommended Big East Best Bets produced an 11-3-1 against-the-spread (ATS) record and combined with the Big Ten results sporting a 11-4 ATS mark combines for a quite satisfying 22-7-1 for 76% ATS winners.
What is on Tap This Week in the Big East Conference?
Big East Conference action starts Tuesday Night with an important matchup when the Creighton Bluejays travel to take on the Marquette Golden Eagles. Marquette is favored by 3-points and a lofty 155-point total.
Seton Hall Pirates will host the Butler Bulldogs and need to halt a 2-game losing skid immediately to hold off the 9-4 Creighton Bluejays and 8-4 Villanova Wildcats, who are just 1 and 1.5-games behind in the conference standings. The Pirates have also lost three consecutive games to the number and are showing signs of cracking down the stretch.
The Pirates are one of five Big East Conference teams ranked in this week’s poll. The Pirates rank 16, the Bluejays rank 15, the Wildcats rank 12, the Golden Eagles rank 19, and the Bulldogs rank 21. So, you can be sure the Bulldogs are seeing the wounded prey and will bring a ton of confidence to this matchup against the Pirates.
Butler has lost three consecutive games to the spread and four of the last five with only a push spanning their last six games. This is an opportunity to buy the Bulldogs at a discount price knowing they are 18-9 ATS and 20-8 straight-up (SU) when coming off three consecutive losses to the spread.
I like the Bulldogs to cover the spread and win the game outright. These types of dog situations warrant a combination wager comprised of an 80% or your normal bet size on the line and 20% on the money line.
The second game Wednesday has the Georgetown Hoyas fresh off their huge upset win over Butler to host the Providence Friars, who they as well are coming off their biggest win of the season over the Pirates. The Hoyas are 3-8 ATS when at home and coming off a huge win in which they covered the spread by at least 17 points.
Three Big Matchups Saturday
Three games take place Saturday and starts with the Xavier Musketeers host the Villanova Wildcats, who dominated and covered the spread over Big-5 Conference foe the Temple Owls. The Big-5 in Philadelphia a pseudo conference comprised of Philadelphia-based schools in La Salle, Villanova, Temple, St. Josephs, and Drexel. The Musketeers will be on four-days rest and Villanova turning around on 2-days rest. I see this game with the Wildcats about a 3-point road favorite.
The Musketeers sit in 7th place of the 10-team Big East Conference at 6-7 conference mark and 17-9 overall season record. This is a resume-building win if the Musketeers can pull off the upset win and are a team that is currently on the bubble-watch. Still, this is the time of year when head coach Jay Wright and his Wildcats rise to the top. I like Villanova in this game as a recommended bet.
Anything Going Sunday?
The Pirates will host the St. John’s Red Storm in what will be a must-win game if they are defeated by the Bulldogs in their previous game. I expect them to be double digit favorites regardless of the result against the Bulldogs. The Pirates are 4-1 ATS if they have lost four or more games to the spread.
The last game of the week in the Big East features another marquee matchup when Creighton hosts Butler. As mentioned, Creighton sits in second place with a 9-4 SU conference record and are a terrific 8-4 ATS for 67% winning bets this season. Butler sits in fifth place with a 7-6 SU conference record and have been a money-burning 3-9-1 ATS. So, based on the ATS records we have a team in Creighton that has outperformed preseason expectations and a team in Butler that has underperformed. Perfect Storm to get on board Butler in this matchup.
Butler will be a 6.5-point underdog in this road tilt, and I like them to win the game outright. So, consider making a bet taking 80% of your normal bet size using the line and the remaining 20% amount placed on the money line.
The post Big East Predictions & Picks for This Week February 17-23, 2020 appeared first on BangTheBook.