British Racing To Resume In ‘Risk-Managed’ Setting On Wednesday

Provided Courtesy of News – Horse Racing News | Paulick Report, Read More.

On Monday night, the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) announced a risk-managed return to racing will take place from Wednesday this week. Racing in Britain had been canceled for the past six days as a result of an equine influenza outbreak.

After consultation with its veterinary committee, and based on the latest tests conducted by the Animal Health Trust, the BHA's Chief Regulatory Officer, Brant Dunshea, tonight confirmed that racing could resume, but only with strict biosecurity controls in place.

This decision to return racing in a controlled, risk-managed manner was unanimously supported by the industry veterinary committee.

“Our approach since hearing about the first positive results last Wednesday has been based on accumulating as much information as we could as quickly as possible so we could properly understand the risks of this virulent strain of flu spreading to more horses. That
would be harmful to them and damaging to any trainers' yards that became infected,” said Dunshea.

“It has also been our intention to ensure that we avoid an issue that could result in a long-term disruption to racing with the risk of many of our major events being unduly impacted.

“After analysis of thousands of samples, and no further positive tests on Monday, we still only have two confirmed sites of infection. We have put robust containment measures in place around both.

“From the testing and analysis conducted the disease appears to be contained at present. The BHA veterinary committee believe that the swift controls on movement that were put in place have clearly helped to restrict the spread of this virus.

“There have been significant logistical issues associated with testing and processing so many tests in such a short space of time. Fortunately, owing to the tireless efforts of the Animal Health Trust, trainers and their local vets, and BHA staff, the vast majority of yards
which had been placed on hold will be in a position to resume racing.

“Clearly, there is some risk associated with returning to racing. This risk has been assessed and, based on the evidence – and ensuring biosecurity measures are in place – the level of risk is viewed as acceptable.”

As such the BHA has confirmed that two scheduled Jump fixtures will go ahead at Musselburgh and Plumpton on Wednesday Feb. 13, alongside the All Weather fixtures at Southwell and Kempton.

As part of the controlled return, the BHA has developed a risk framework which allows it to categorize individual trainers by the level of risk they have been exposed to. The ability of runners to return to racing from those yards will depend on the risk categories the yards are
placed in.

The BHA is finalizing overnight which category individual trainers will currently be placed in. The BHA will contact trainers on Tuesday morning to inform them of their category and eligibility to run.

Trainers who hold entries for Wednesday are advised to declare at 10am on Tuesday. Confirmed declarations will not be issued to the media, betting organisations and data customers until 1:30pm. In this period the BHA will review all declarations to ensure none
have been declared which do not meet the risk criteria.

Please note declarations for Thursday's Flat All Weather meetings will now be at the 24 hour stage.

In addition to the risk factors outlined above, and as an interim measure, the BHA has ordered that no entries or declarations will be accepted from horses that have not been vaccinated in the previous six months. Trainers are advised to check current vaccination
records before declaring tomorrow morning. In addition, all trainers will be required to provide a health declaration upon arrival at a racecourse.

The BHA's Director of Equine Health and Welfare, David Sykes said: “The BHA and the veterinary committee agree that, on balance, the level of risk is acceptable for a return to racing.

“We have developed a risk model, which the veterinary committee support, in order to assist the return to racing.

“We will observe closely those horses who are taken to the racecourse and will intervene as a precaution to prevent a horse running or accessing a racecourse if we believe it might put other horses at risk of infection.

“The veterinary committee are of the view that an unprecedented amount of this disease has been identified in Europe. This is not a typical endemic period and it was essential that precautions be taken to protect the horse population.”

In preparation for a return to Racing the BHA's Racing department has identified a number of key Jump races which should be rescheduled. The identified races are based on their place in the Pattern and races which provided essential opportunities.

Full race conditions will be circulated tomorrow and a further review will take place of any gaps that have been caused at all levels of the race programme with a view to adding in additional race or fixtures as required.

A similar exercise will also commence for Flat races in the coming days.

The post British Racing To Resume In ‘Risk-Managed’ Setting On Wednesday appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

British Racing To Resume In ‘Risk-Managed’ Setting On Wednesday

Provided Courtesy of News – Horse Racing News | Paulick Report, Read More.

On Monday night, the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) announced a risk-managed return to racing will take place from Wednesday this week. Racing in Britain had been canceled for the past six days as a result of an equine influenza outbreak.

After consultation with its veterinary committee, and based on the latest tests conducted by the Animal Health Trust, the BHA's Chief Regulatory Officer, Brant Dunshea, tonight confirmed that racing could resume, but only with strict biosecurity controls in place.

This decision to return racing in a controlled, risk-managed manner was unanimously supported by the industry veterinary committee.

“Our approach since hearing about the first positive results last Wednesday has been based on accumulating as much information as we could as quickly as possible so we could properly understand the risks of this virulent strain of flu spreading to more horses. That
would be harmful to them and damaging to any trainers' yards that became infected,” said Dunshea.

“It has also been our intention to ensure that we avoid an issue that could result in a long-term disruption to racing with the risk of many of our major events being unduly impacted.

“After analysis of thousands of samples, and no further positive tests on Monday, we still only have two confirmed sites of infection. We have put robust containment measures in place around both.

“From the testing and analysis conducted the disease appears to be contained at present. The BHA veterinary committee believe that the swift controls on movement that were put in place have clearly helped to restrict the spread of this virus.

“There have been significant logistical issues associated with testing and processing so many tests in such a short space of time. Fortunately, owing to the tireless efforts of the Animal Health Trust, trainers and their local vets, and BHA staff, the vast majority of yards
which had been placed on hold will be in a position to resume racing.

“Clearly, there is some risk associated with returning to racing. This risk has been assessed and, based on the evidence – and ensuring biosecurity measures are in place – the level of risk is viewed as acceptable.”

As such the BHA has confirmed that two scheduled Jump fixtures will go ahead at Musselburgh and Plumpton on Wednesday Feb. 13, alongside the All Weather fixtures at Southwell and Kempton.

As part of the controlled return, the BHA has developed a risk framework which allows it to categorize individual trainers by the level of risk they have been exposed to. The ability of runners to return to racing from those yards will depend on the risk categories the yards are
placed in.

The BHA is finalizing overnight which category individual trainers will currently be placed in. The BHA will contact trainers on Tuesday morning to inform them of their category and eligibility to run.

Trainers who hold entries for Wednesday are advised to declare at 10am on Tuesday. Confirmed declarations will not be issued to the media, betting organisations and data customers until 1:30pm. In this period the BHA will review all declarations to ensure none
have been declared which do not meet the risk criteria.

Please note declarations for Thursday's Flat All Weather meetings will now be at the 24 hour stage.

In addition to the risk factors outlined above, and as an interim measure, the BHA has ordered that no entries or declarations will be accepted from horses that have not been vaccinated in the previous six months. Trainers are advised to check current vaccination
records before declaring tomorrow morning. In addition, all trainers will be required to provide a health declaration upon arrival at a racecourse.

The BHA's Director of Equine Health and Welfare, David Sykes said: “The BHA and the veterinary committee agree that, on balance, the level of risk is acceptable for a return to racing.

“We have developed a risk model, which the veterinary committee support, in order to assist the return to racing.

“We will observe closely those horses who are taken to the racecourse and will intervene as a precaution to prevent a horse running or accessing a racecourse if we believe it might put other horses at risk of infection.

“The veterinary committee are of the view that an unprecedented amount of this disease has been identified in Europe. This is not a typical endemic period and it was essential that precautions be taken to protect the horse population.”

In preparation for a return to Racing the BHA's Racing department has identified a number of key Jump races which should be rescheduled. The identified races are based on their place in the Pattern and races which provided essential opportunities.

Full race conditions will be circulated tomorrow and a further review will take place of any gaps that have been caused at all levels of the race programme with a view to adding in additional race or fixtures as required.

A similar exercise will also commence for Flat races in the coming days.

The post British Racing To Resume In ‘Risk-Managed’ Setting On Wednesday appeared first on Horse Racing News | Paulick Report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Welcome Aboard


    Maximum Sports Channels takes in all the Sports News from around the internet in a concise format. With Sports happening all the time, to keep up with it, you need one place that pulls it all together. When you visit MSC, you get the latest sports news to the right of this panel.

    We have our own sports programming too, so when you have the time, tune into sharp commentary and reporting on MSC-Radio and MSC-TV.
  • MSC Features


    Phil's Fantasy Sports - Fantasy Sports Analysis
    Writers Garret - Contemporary Writers Forum
    Field View - Soccer News And Analysis
    Center Ice -Hockey News And Analysis
    Against The Ropes -Boxing News And Analysis
    Track Talk - Horse Racing News And Analysis
    Nuthin' But Net - Basketball News And Analysis
    Rooster Tail - Powerboat Racing News/Analysis
    In The Red Zone - Football News And Analysis
    Inside The Cage - UFC/MMA News And Analysis
    Hittin It Raw-Dawg - Wrestling News/Analysis
    From The Sidelines - Editor's Corner

    Shop - Take Look At Some Great Products
    Contact - You Have Something To Say (Or Ask)
    Feature Posts - What You Might Like To Know
    Feature Programs - Program Summary
    Advertise -The Best Way To Get Noticed
    Resources -Some Interesting Links

  • MSC Radio Today


    We Are Reorganizing Radio Programming For The Summer!


    Subscribe To Our RSS Feeds

    rss  All News Feed

    rss  Featured Feed

    rss  Featured Programs Feed

    rss  Football Feed

    rss  Basketball Feed

    rss  Hockey Feed
    rss  Powerboat Racing Feed